Featured Post

Annual Cleanse

     As soon as the Christmas decorations are down it's time to start thinking about Marmalade!  In January Seville oranges come to Ir...

12.7.17

Annual Cleanse Revisited!


I've been lucky enough to have been given a Magimix to replace my old mixer and I've been thinking of ways to use it more when I was scrabbling around in the freezer and found a bag of marmalade oranges. Could I? I wondered, use the Magimix to chop them up to make a batch of marmalade?


I halved the oranges and squeezed them as usual collecting the seeds and membranes, then I quartered the skins and then used the 2mm slicing disk to slice them into the bowl.



I then replaced the slicing disk with the blade and pulsed the blade until the peels had the consistency I was looking for. As I transferred them to the preserving pan I ran the pieces through my fingers to find any large pieces, which I chopped by hand, there were remarkably few of these. I soaked the peels and pips overnight and made the marmalade the next day.


Not only have retired my mixer I can now retire my hand cranked mincer


By using frozen oranges I find I don't need to boil the peel as long to soften it, consequently the amount of water needed is less.


No comments:

Post a Comment