Featured Post

Finding a box of memories.

        When I was growing up in the kitchen drawer there was a knife known as "The knife"! It had been a carbon steel dinner kni...


Gluten-free Pizza Base

I think I've finally cracked a half decent pizza base that is wheat and gluten-free!
I love pizza and I was missing it when I reduced my wheat consumption, but recently I've been thinking about it and have a few goes at making this version. 

                                                          Gluten-free Pizza Dough

This is not like a bread dough it is more like a paste.

6tbs warm water
150g mashed potato
1 tsp sugar
1tsp Doves Farm 'Quick Yeast'

Mix together in the bowl of an electric mixer, cover and leave in a warm place until it smells boozy and is frothy.
Boozy smelling bubbles

375g gluten-free bread flour
1 ½ tsp salt
190ml milk
1tsp vinegar
2tbs olive oil

Sift the flour into the bowl with the frothy potatoes and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix with the paddle/"K" beater for 4 minutes at a medium slow speed. Cover and leave in the warm place again for 30 minutes.

The 'Dough'
Oil 4 large baking trays and put a quarter of the dough on to the centre of one. Then using a pallet knife dipped in water spread the dough out into a circle or oval as evenly as you can. Cover and leave to rise while you do the other 3 bases.

Almost round!

Leave them all to rise for 10-15 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 180˚C, GM 4.
Bake the bases until dry on top, firm and beginning to brown, about 15 minutes.
The cooked 'B' side

Remove them from the oven and take the bases off the trays and leave on wire racks. 

Ready to go

Turn the oven up to the highest setting and put a heavy baking tray into the oven at the top.
Brush the top of the bases with oil and turn over. Cover the bases with your favourite toppings and bake directly on the pre heated baking tray for 10-15 minutes, until bubbling and golden.
(If using a pizza stone put it into the oven before you turn it on to bake the bases.) Makes 4 bases about 27cm in diameter.

 It could have done with a minute or two under a hot grill. Next time I'll use the oven with the grill in it and turn it on to finish the top.
There is some 'dough' left... almost supper time..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment